We view CSR not just as a responsibility but as an opportunity to be accountable through review of the NGK SPARK PLUG's GROUP's economic, environmental and social activities from a global perspective, to enhance corporate value, and to contribute to the sustainable development of society in accordance with our Corporate Philosophy.
Our CSR activities are wide-ranging, and include the following:
- Offering excellent products to customers
- Disclosing corporate information to shareholders and the broader investor community in a readily understandable way as well as timely and appropriately manner
- Collaborating with suppliers for mutual development
- Establishing a safe and employee-friendly working environment
- Participating in and supporting activities in the local community
To provide our Group's action guidelines for fulfilling CSR, in April 2011 our CSR Policy was established, which comprises 10 policies, such as the Compliance Policy and others. In line with the CSR Policy, we intend to review and promote CSR based on a multifaceted approach.
CSR Promotion System
The CSR Committee determines the priority themes for each fiscal year, to implement CSR Policy. The Committee also oversees and evaluates CSR-related activities implemented by the respective committees, working groups and divisions, and makes appropriate proposals regarding them, so as to achieve full optimization of CSR activities, thereby strengthening our business foundations.
The CSR Committee sets up respective working group as deemed appropriate, each of which holds discussions on specific themes to develop countermeasures. We have established a company-wide CSR promotion system by securing close coordination between the CSR Committee, the CSR Promotion Sub-Committee and expert committees.
CSR Awareness-raising Activities
We have been running elementary CSR training courses since 2014 as one of our awareness-raising activities so that every employee feels more familiar with CSR.
The training is expected to lead them to change in attitudes toward work, enhancement of motivation, and higher pridein the company through awareness of their connections with society as well as their contributions to society. Starting in 2017—we created training courses for employees who work for our group companies in Japan who are now teaching those same courses to other newly incoming employees.
In addition, we regularly publish the CSR Newsletter and hold lectures by experts, aiming at continuous CSR awareness-raising activities.
Participation in "United Nations global compact"
NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. Participated in “United Nations global compact” in November 2016.
“United Nations global compact” is a voluntary corporate citizenship in order to address various problems such as global warming, environmental problems, gap-widening society that are progressing on a global scale. They are also initiatives that were proposed by Kofi Annan, the Secretary-General of the United Nations in 1999, and established formally by the U.N. in July 2000.NGK SPARK PLUG CO., LTD. will uphold ten principles consisted of four issues such as “Human rights, Labour, Environment, Anti-corruption” being advocated by the U.N. global compact as good members of society, and will make every effort to promote activities in order to contribute to building a sustainable society.
The Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact
- Principle 1: Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Principle 2: make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Principle 3: Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Principle 4: the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
- Principle 5: the effective abolition of child labour.
- Principle 6: the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Principle 7: Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Principle 8: undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Principle 9: encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Principle 10: Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
Our contributions to SDGs
We will work to achieve SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals: SDGs*) that were adopted by the United Nations in 2015.
*What are SDGs?
SDGs consist of the 17 goals and 169 targets that were adopted at the UN Summit which aim to solve worldwide problems such as poverty, inequality and climate change by 2030—pledging that “No one will be left behind.”
Progress in our CSR
Adopted "Corporate Philosophy"
Adopted "Corporate Code of Conduct"
Established Ethical Committee
Adopted "Corporate Ethics Helpline System Operation Guidelines"
Revised "Corporate Code of Conduct", published "Code of Conduct Guidebook"
Published "Guidelines on the Handling of Personal Information"
Established Export Control Committee, adopted "Export Management Regulations"
Adopted "Confidentiality Management Regulations"
Published "Confidentiality Management Guidelines"
Established Internal Audit Department
Prepared "Corporate Protection Manual"
Inaugurated CSR Promotion Department
Established CSR Committee
Adopted CSR Policy
Established Compliance Committee
Published "Compliance Guidebook"
Adopted "Compliance Regulations"
Adopted "Emergency Response Plan Regulations" and "Business Continuity Plan (BCP) Regulations"
Published "CSR Procurement Guidelines"
Launched "CSR Awareness-raising Activities"
Participated in "United Nations global compact"
Published “Integrated Report”